In The Zone
By: Collin Fat, Zone 7 Representative
Sacramento Valley Region
Photos by Collin Fat
Sierra Nevada Region Celebrates 55th Anniversary:
The Sierra Nevada Region celebrated their 55th anniversary at a Show and Shine event at San Rafael Community Park in Reno on August 2nd. Due to local restrictions related to Covid 19, attendance was limited to only 25 cars. Club president, Millie Smith, received a letter from national president, Tom Gorsuch presented to her by myself and national club treasurer and SNR member Craig Kugler helped to present their award plaque as well as a notebook with copies of the club’s original application for its charter as well as their original set of club bylaws. It is significant to note that the first club president of the Sierra Nevada Region was Burt Propp, who later served as national club president. Congratulations to the members of Sierra Nevada Region and wishing you all another 50 years!
Zone 7 Concours Series Suffers Another Setback:
With Covid 19 cases starting to flatten but with the death rate rising, nearly 38 counties in California are still under monitoring by the State. That being said, many regions have struggled to secure sites and permission to schedule their concour events. Recently, Al Price, Sacramento Valley Region Concours chair notified me that the Niello dealership location that he had secured was no longer available due to concerns with Covid 19. This cancellation follows Redwood Regions cancellation of their annual concours at the spectacular Ledson Winery.
This leaves just 3 events scheduled for the 2020 Concours season. October 4th, hosted by Monterey Bay Region, October 11th hosted by Loma Prieta Region, and October 18th hosted by Golden Gate Region. It is the hope of the Zone concours chairs, Roy Schauben and Simone Kopitzki, that these three remaining regions will be able to continue with their events as planned. Should just one of the remaining concours events be cancelled due to Covid 19 issues, the Zone 7 Concours series awards will be cancelled. The regions which do hold their events will continue as scheduled but without counting toward any year end awards.
Zone Autocross Series Update:
The Zone Autocross series is off to a great start with 7 events scheduled for the series and 3 events completed. Sacramento Valley Region held the first Zone event at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, California with nearly 60 drivers competing for year end awards while Loma Prieta and Golden Gate Regions held their dual events at the Cow Palace in Daly City to a group of 50 drivers on both Saturday and Sunday. The county of San Mateo has instituted strict large group gatherings to no more than 50 persons. Registration for the Cow Palace events opened on August 11th and sold out in less than 3 minutes. At the time of this writing, Loma Prieta Region has 2 openings remaining, but I believe they will also reach their capacity of 50 drivers by the time of the event.
National News and Event Updates:
The PCA National Awards ceremony was held virtually on August 19th and can be seen on PCA’s You Tube channel. The following Zone 7 regions received recognition for their efforts:
Newsletter Contest, 3rd Place Class III (regions with 200-399 members): Prieta Post, Loma Prieta Region
Website Contest, 3rd Place Class II (regions with 100-199 members): Yosemite Region
Website Contest, 2nd Place Class III (regions with 200-399 members): Loma Prieta Region
A complete list of all national award winners can be viewed at the following link: youtu.be/TXMl2jFTb-Q
The Executive Council recently announced at its August Zone Rep meeting that it is in beta testing for a new software product called File Cabinet. File Cabinet will allow for all regions in PCA to store their electronic data such as copies of their bylaws, policies and procedures, waivers, past newsletters, and all sorts of club information that can often get lost between one chair or board to another. Expect it to be available sometime in 2021.
West Coast Series Race:
The West Coast Race Series will get a restart at Sonoma Raceway in August after having several events cancelled due to the Covid 19. The following are events scheduled for the series.
August 22-23rd Sonoma Golden Gate Region
September 5-6th Laguna Seca Golden Gate Region
September 19-20th Rocky Mountain High Plains Region
September 26-27th Thunderhill Golden Gate Region
October 10-11th Sonoma Golden Gate Region
Events of Interest:
- West Coast Series Races, August 22-23, Sonoma Raceway, by Golden Gate Region
- Loma Prieta Region 50th Anniversary Gala; August 29; rescheduled to March 2021
- Zone 7 AX, August 29, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Golden Gate Region
- Zone 7 AX, August 30, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Loma Prieta Region
- West Coast Series Race, September 5-6, Laguna Seca, by Golden Gate Region
- PCA Fall Treffen at the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia; September 16-19; pca.org. SOLD OUT
- Zone 7 Concours, September 20, Ledson Winery – Kenwood, by Redwood Region; CANCELLED
- West Coast Series Races, September 19-20, High Plains Raceway, by Rocky Mountain Region
- West Coast Series Races, September 26-27, Thunderhill, by Golden Gate Region
- Zone 7 Concours, October 4; Carmel Valley, by Monterey Bay Region
- West Coast Series Races, October 10-11, Sonoma Raceway, by Golden Gate Region
- Zone 7 AX, October 10-11, Thunderhill, by Sacramento Valley and Redwood Regions
- Zone 7 Concours, October 11, Porsche of Fremont, by Loma Prieta Region
- Zone 7 Concours, October 18, Porsche Redwood City, by Golden Gate Region
- Zone 7 AX, October 24, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Golden Gate Region
- Zone 7 AX, October 25, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Loma Prieta Region
- PCA Tech Tactics West, November 21-22, Southern California
- Loma Prieta Region 50th (plus 1) Anniversary Gala, March 2021
- PCA Spring Treffen at the Marriott Scottsdale, Arizona; May 5-9, 2021; pca.org
- Porsche Parade at French Lick, Indiana, July 11-17, 2021
- PCA Fall Treffen at the American Club, Kohler, Wisconsin, October 13-17, 2021
- PCA Spring Treffen at the BROADMOOR, Colorado Springs, Colorado, April 27-May 1, 2022
- Sacramento Valley Region 60th Anniversary Celebration, May 7, 2022
Note that past Treffens have sold out in as little as one hour due to their growing popularity.